Wesley Medical Research Ltd., established in 1994, is an independent, not-for-profit medical research organisation located in the grounds of The Wesley Hospital in Brisbane. The Organisation is limited by guarantee and governed by a Board of Directors and a company Constitution.
WMR offers a range of research support services to aid doctors and other health professionals with varying levels of experience in conducting medical research.
These services include, but are not limited to:
- Research question and study design assistance
- Statistics services, including advice, design and analysis
- Ethics and governance guidance and assistance
- Literature review
- Research assistant/research nurse labour
- Trial/study coordination
- Database creation and data management
- Collection of and access to biological samples
- Use of equipment and other research facilities
- Funding for equipment, services and support not provided by WMR
- Instituting research collaborations
- Research education and training
“Immediate improvements in patient care and quality of life through applied medical research.”
“A world leader in applied medical research acknowledged for achieving excellence and innovation in patient care. WMR fosters a strong research culture in UnitingCare Health hospitals, improving patient outcomes by linking medical research and clinical practice.”
Encouraging and supporting clinicians and other health professionals to undertake applied medical research to improve patient care and quality of life through:
- Faster, more accurate diagnosis.
- Fewer, less severe side effects.
- New treatments for faster, improved recovery.
- 2016 – WMR re-organised our research into seven theme areas: Neuroscience, Cardiology & Cardiac Surgery, Cancer, Infections & Critical Illness, Women’s & Children’s Health, Surgical & Medical Innovations, Rural & Remote Health.
- 2016 – WMR BioBank launched as new name of Queensland’s largest bio-repository of human biological samples, blood and data
- 2015 – Prof David Paterson appointed CEO of WMR
- 2015 – The institute rebranded to Wesley Medical Research (WMR)
- 2014 – The Wesley Research Institute merges with St. Andrew’s Medical Institute to form Wesley-St. Andrew’s Research Institute (WSARI)
- 2013 – Prof Christian Gericke was appointed CEO of WRI.
- 2012 – Prof Julie Campbell AO retired after 16 years as Director of WRI.
- 2011 – Ventyx committed $1.5 million to the Wesley Research Institute Tissue Bank.
- 2009 – Queensland Premier Anna Bligh opened the Health and Medical Research Centre funded by a $10 million grant from the Queensland Government’s Smart State Research Facilities Fund.
- 2007 – Queensland Premier Peter Beattie opened the new Clinical Trials Centre and Tissue Bank funded through $800 000 and $1.42 million grants respectively from the Queensland Government’s Smart State Research Facilities Fund.
- 2005 – The Institute received a $10 million grant from Atlantic Philanthropies.
- 1998 – The first Research Fellowship awarded to Dr Tara Veveris-Lowe.
- 1996 – Professor Julie Campbell AO appointed as the Institute’s first Director.
- 1994 – Inaugural Board meeting.